Kohbar Art - A window into the Mithila culture!
Story of the Painting
Kohbar is the most auspicious ritual painting made during a marriage ceremony in the Mithila region. It is painted on the walls of the nuptial chamber or 'Kohbar ghar' by women of the house where the bride and groom perform various 'pujas' and rituals to get blessings from God and elder family members. 'Kohbar ghar' is also the place where the newly married couple consummate their marriage and thus love and prosperity are the main aspects of Kohbar art.
Kohbar art is a fine line art or kacchni style of Madhubani painting and each and every element in this art form has a special significance.
- This Kohbar paintings has a central mandala surrounded by 6 other mandalas which are stylized lotus leaves with floral pattern inside. A vertical stem cuts through the central mandala that connects the leaves with the roots, and has a female face at the top of it. Thus, lotus symbolises the feminine power or the female sexuality.
- Motifs of flowers, fishes, and snakes are drawn around the mandalas to depict the pond life which represent abundance and procreation.
- Bamboo plant is another inherent element of Kohbar denoting male sexuality and the husband's patrilineal line.
- The Sun and The Moon are very important part of Mithila culture and thus they are drawn in the Kohbar art also to invoke their blessings as the newly married couple start their new life together.
- Elephant motif in Madhubani art represent a large and prosperous family life.
- This auspicious and culturally rich painting is surely a nice gift for a newlywed couple in Bihar.
- Reward yourself with amazing insights into the rich thoughts of the artist when you explore this Beautiful and Aesthetic Art.
* The finer the art work is, the more value it adds to the paintings.
Be mindful of what you buy.
- Sustainable Shipping: We charge a minimal Rs. 80 for all packages with order amount less than Rs. 1000.
- Conscious Packaging: Our Products are handmade by Artisans, with care and affection. We hand-pack and ship each product with utmost care to avoid any damage.
- Mind the returns: We check each individual Item before shipping to you. So, Returns are considered only when video proof of unpacking is provided in case of damaged item.